September 14, 2015
IMPORTANT INFO TO KEEP IN MIND FOR THIS SEASON
1. Each team is to have at minimum one designated captain with a ‘C’ sewn on the uniform. Because this is new, teams will have until the 5 game mark to get this done. If it’s not done, starting on game number 6, a $25 team fine per game will be levied until the Christmas break and teams will need to get it done before play starts in January or they will forfeit games until it is done. Up to two assistant captains are also highly recommended. For the first 5 games, if teams do not have a designated ‘C’ sewn on a jersey it’ll be there responsibility to inform the ref as to the player who will be the captain that night and then up to the ref to inform the scorekeeper to make note of it on the scoresheet.
2. Goal scoring – This was a comment from my ref meeting – If a ref asks you who the back assist was then answer otherwise if they don’t ask it means they have it all clear and it’s over at that point. Why is this important. I cannot tell you the number of times I get emails and calls from teams after the fact wanting to switch stats or add stats etc. That will not happen this year. If teams look at the scoresheet at the end of the game and have questions about stats, they can work out clarification with the refs but not with the league. Once I get scoresheets, the stats will be entered and not altered.
3. Penalties – as per the team reps – Stick infractions will be more on the refs radar this year. Consensus was the guys don’t like the stick work that happens and want more of it to be called. Duly noted and instruction has already been given to the referees
4. Jerseys – from the refs – it was mentioned that there were times when a sub player might show up with a slightly different color jersey to the team he was subbing for and perhaps confusingly close to the opponents color. If this happens, it’ll be at the referee’s discretion as to whether or not to let that player play or be instructed to go find another jersey. Also, from this point forward, any team wishing to change their jersey’s color or any new team that comes into the league will have to ask for league approval on what they are requesting.
5. Spare list – Some good suggestions were made regarding searching the spare list for possible players and making it easier for teams to look through it and decide if they might want to call someone. Those changes have been implemented and you can already start to see that on the spare list page.
6. Scoresheets – ah yes, good ole scoresheet issues. There will now be a $5 team fine for each incorrect game scoresheet. It is the team’s (makes sense to be the team captains) responsibility to ensure that the players and numbers listed on the scoresheet match the players and numbers of the guys in the game. The scorekeepers use the rosters from the website (no numbers are listed on website because they change too regularly) and then usually keep a copy or so of actual game scoresheets to help them figure out who usually plays and what numbers they wear and then pre-populate the rosters prior to each game so we can get started on time. What they do is write as many guys names down as they think are playing and then just cross off those guys that aren’t there that night. That’s why it’s a real help to trim down your website rosters from the 30-50 guys that some teams have listed. I’m asking scorekeepers to help ensure that the sheets are accurate so that no fines are accrued but ultimately it’s the teams responsibility to ensure that they are correct.
7. Face offs after penalties – will be moved to the defending zone of the offending team.